Hot and tangy, this iconic dish is from the heart of beautiful Goa on India’s western coast. Eat it with plain boiled rice or Jeera Rice and a leafy green salad.
- 1 kg. pork (cut into 1″ cubes with all the fat removed)
- 8 tbsp Vindaloo Masala paste
- 2 large onions (chopped fine)
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp brown sugar (or palm sugar or maple syrup)
- 2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
Coat the pork well with the vindaloo masala paste. Allow it to marinate for a minimum of 24 hours.
Heat the oil and fry the onions till golden. Add the ginger paste, cinnamon and cloves and fry for a minute.
Add the palm sugar and stir well.
Add the meat only (leave behind marinade paste/liquid for later) and brown well
Add the paste/liquid that the meat was marinated in, now. Add a cup of water and salt to taste.
Stir well, reduce flame and cook till pork is tender.
Serve with plain boiled rice or Jeera Rice.